Fiona Pitt-Kethley is a writer and poet that lives with chessGM husband and son in Cartagena, Spain. Into snorkelling, minerals, music, cycling, fishing, hill-walks, food, film and cats.
Top 3 Favorite Restaurants in Spain?
1) Barrio San Roque, Calle Jabonerias, Cartagena. Excellent service and high quality food. Brithdays and anniversaries are often celebrated here.
2) La Marisqueria, Plaza de la Marina, Santa Lucia, Cartagena. This restaurant offers fish buffets. It is run by a fishing family so the fish is the freshest. On several Saturdays in the summer they have Flamenco concerts in the square outside with top national singers. You can order plates of seafood from the restaurant to eat outside.
3) Bodega Velasco, Alumbres. This is our favourite cheap menu del día spot. You have to go early as it is always crammed with workers from Escombreras. Good home cooking.
Top 3 favorite foods in Spain?
1) Jamon Serrano
2) Pulpo a la Gallega
3) Caldero, a local speciality where the rice is prepared with fish stock and ñora peppers. It is similar to arroz a banda.
Top 3 tips for new expats in Spain?
1) Learn Spanish
2) Integrate by joining local classes and groups suited to your interests.
3) Take advantage of all the free culture, concerts, libraries, talks, courses, fiestas with paellas
Top 3 tips for travelers in Spain:
1) Don´t assume everyone speaks English
3) Don´t stick with the expats
Top 3 tips for what to pack for Spain?
1) Snorkel and mask if you are going to the sea. Great clear water
2) Cap or hat against the sun unless it is a winter trip
3) If you plan to use public pools you will need swim hat, goggles and flip-flops
Top 3 favorite places in Spain
1) Cartagena – where I live
3) Out in the wilds in the Rioja region
Top 3 neighborhoods in Cartagena
1) Calle Mayor and the roads that lead off it for Art Nouveau architecture
2) Casco Antiguo for Roman and Punic remains
3) Algameca – a tiny illegal village of beach houses
For more tips from Fiona on the Spain blog and find her on twitter @pittkethley and her books on amazon.
Interested in contributing? Contact email@example.com!