Home  »  Italy  »  Forums  »  Italian Red Tape   »  how to get a visa for Italy , simplified all here!

how to get a visa for Italy , simplified all here!

sukhwinder singh

Hello !
Mam,i have completed my B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering form India. Now,i am seeking for further studies in Italy which are specialised in automotive engineering. So,tell the procedure of how i can get visa for academic purpose .

Posted April 18th, 2014

thomas pigeon

I have been travelling back and forth from Canada for the last two years and had no idea about the 90 day Schengen EU countries rule until I was confronted by a less then smiley agent at the border coming into Amsterdam enroute to Milano. I wrongly assumed that the 90 day rule meant leave the country for 90 days then return 24 hours later and all would be good. Wrong!. 90 days in any six month period and thats consecutively or cumulatively. The agent in Amsterdam was delighted to read every in and out stamp from the last three years of travel and advise me that I wasn’t following the rules and needed to get a 12 month visa. Thanks to this Blog I was able to begin to better understand the very complicated process and work with an exceptional attorney in Firenze who has been writing on this Blog (Michele Capecchi )and have worked through bureaucracy and obtained my 12 month visa. The complexity of language and bureaucracy were circumvented by one phone call to this very informed attorney who made life so much easier and was well worth the investment. Bravo to you guys for running this site or I’d still be back in the great white north as compared to sunny Italy!

Posted May 20th, 2014

jean amenyaglo

I am a Togolese national resident in ghana,my father works in italy but have been back home for two years now.he is planning on going back but wants me to accompany him but upon looking out for the visa checklist there seems to be a request for “NULL OSTA” how do we get that whiles he is still here in ghana.and for the records we have all the relevant documents including my “CODICE FISCALE” he made for me whiles i was a kid back in 1998.and i also want to know if i can still apply without the null osta?

Posted May 21st, 2014

jean amenyaglo
Family Reunion forms 1 and 2 duly filled for each applicant. Long Stay Visa form duly filled for each applicant. 4 Passport pictures of each applicant on a WHITE background; two pasted on forms 1 and 2, one pasted on, and the other attached to, Visa form. 1 Clear and Legible copy each of Data pages of passport for each applicant. ORIGINAL passport of applicant. Original NULLA OSTA. ORIGINAL Birth Certificate and ONE Clear copy for each applicant. ORIGINAL and RECENT Stato di Famiglia of relation in Italy, valid within SIX months of application. ORIGINAL Certificato di Residenza of relation in Italy valid within SIX months of application. ORIGINAL Declaration of Family Status of relation in Italy (ATTO NOTORIO) to include details of ALL persons in Nuclear Family. Clear copy of OLD and NEW Permesso di Soggiorno of relation in Italy. Clear copy of VALID Carta D’Identita of relation in Italy. Clear copy of ALL pages of ALL passports of relation in Italy. One passport picture of relation in Italy. Copy of Birth Certificate of relation in Italy.

how do i get all these documents whiles in ghana

Posted May 21st, 2014


I am from Iran and will be studying in Florence in September. Can anyone tell me if there is a waiting period for the Schengen visa before I can travel to another country in europe?

Posted May 22nd, 2014


Hi Georgette, could u please help me. I m an Indian citizen and applied for subordinate work visa through Italian employer/sponsor but till now after 8 months, nulla osta – work permit not received. how much time required for clearance of the same.

Posted May 29th, 2014



I am currently in Milan with a permit-to-stay for studying. I obtained my student visa only for 9 months but my permit-to-stay expires in October (which will be one year that I am here). I would like to find a way to extend my time here even longer than that. Could I appy for a new student visa (for a different school) OR a tourist visa, while I am here on a student permit?

Thank you.

Posted June 4th, 2014



Hello Georgette,

I am an American girl studying in Italy. I came on a student visa and the Questura gave me a permesso di soggiorno which allows me to stay until the end of October 2014. I am now being offered a teaching job at an Italian school and (being the first American teacher to be hired) they need me to figure out how they can request a work visa. Please respond as soon as you are able, as the job is not certain yet, and they are waiting for guidance on how to proceed. Thank you in advance!

Please email me at imspinelli@yahoo.com, as that is a more efficient way to communicate for me.

Posted June 20th, 2014


Plese help me. i am currently staying here.in italy but im going back in my country philippines soon to fixed my visa in the philippines..my problem is i renew my passport here in italy. Is there any problem if i use my passport that i renew here in italy if apply visa for italy in the philippines i have my nulla osta..im not applying for working visa or student visa my husband want me to stay here in italy.thank you very much

Posted June 21st, 2014

Giovanni Papperini

Dear Isabel,

you could apply for a conversion of your permit to a permit for employment or self employment here in Italy, the request has to be made at the “Sportello Unico per l’immigrazione” of the prefecture.
The “Sportello Unico” will then verify the availability of the quota and you can be authorized only within the limit of the quota.

Generally there is a greater availability for quotas for autonomous work rather than for quotas for employment, therefore in my opinion it would be better to ask for a conversion to a permit for self employment through a collaboration contract with the school.

Should the quotas be no longer available it is possible to apply for a visa for subordinate or autonomous work. You’d have to turn to your country and apply at the Consulate there, however this solution is much more complicated because teaching in a school does not worthy to be able to apply for a “special visa for subordinate work” if it is not for an international school authorized by the “Ministero della Pubblica Istruzione” and included in their specific list of those schools.
Also since 2011 it is no longer possible to apply for an ordinary visa for autonomous work with just a collaboration contract with a school. Now for an autonomous work visa a person has to be be part of one of the following categories:

- self-employed professionals
- business persons, merchants, artisans
- sports persons and athletes
- partners in Italian firms (semplifications for startuppers, see my article on the subject: http://www.studiopapperini.com/italia-startup-v… )
- entertainment industry personnel
- managers or highly qualified employees of companies based in Italy or with branches in Italy, or of branch offices of foreign companies headquartered in a member country of the World Trade Organisation, or managers of main offices in Italy of Italian firms or firms of another EU member
- university language tutor, university professors and researchers intending to fill an academic position or carry out paid research activities in Italian universities or educational or research institutes, translators and interpreters

Studio Papperini Relocation has been working in the immigration sector since 1986, if you need any further information or assistance with the application process please contact us.

Giovanni Papperini

Managing Director
Studio Papperini Relocation
79, Via Ugo Ojetti
00137 Roma
Email: info@studiopapperini.it
phone: +39 0686895810 – 0686802366
fax: +39 0686896546
web: www.studiopapperini.com

Posted June 21st, 2014


Hello Georgette, Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. It helps a lot of people.
Please i will need your help in my situation. I have this girl who leaves in Italy now and both of us from Cameroon where we started dating. She is working already, that is after graduation. We love each other so much but i am presently living and working in the middle east while she has been in Italy for 5 years now. We are planning to live together but we don’t know how possible it could be to get a visa for me to join her in Italy and stay with her.

Posted June 26th, 2014

Laura Martino


Hi! I already have been hired by a school in Italy to teach English. The school has already sent in my visa application, but I am still waiting and school starts September 15th! I am freaking out!

Can I apply for a visa while already in Italy?

Can I work while the application is still processing?

Can I complete the process while in Italy?

OR should I apply for citizenship?! I qualify, but the wait seems to be about a year, which I don’t have.

Can I stay and/or work in Italy while I am waiting for citizenship??

PLEEASE help!! It’s been a dream since high school to live in Italy, and I will be heartbroken if I can’t go. :(


Posted July 3rd, 2014


Hi georgette,

How r u ? I’m from Pakistan …I applied for Italy visa but it’s rejected….someone told me to get Italy visa easily u need to have invitation letter from Italian citizen….. So is there anyone who send me invitation so I can visit Italy I really want to visit Italy to get rid of that rejection stamp on my passport can u help me georgette plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted July 4th, 2014


Sorry I put da wrong email address what should I do to change it

Posted July 4th, 2014



This should help with editing/changing your profile and posts.

Posted July 5th, 2014


Hi Georgette




Posted July 6th, 2014

Yones blanco sales

Hi there,
My name is yones blanco sales, I sign in to this website because I am looking for a job in Italy or France I am a domestic worker in singapore with in 14 years,with 4employers,including my employers at the moment,now my boss is relocating in the end of the year, so I decided to apply in Europe country as a domestic worker,I have good recommendation from my previous employer and to my current employer,but my problems is I don’t know any one who I can I ask how do I get a working permits and visa,and I don’t know how can I get an employers who are willing to hire me,hopefully by singing this website will big help to me to find a an employers and job in Italy or either in France,
Thanks, and looking forward for the reply


Posted July 25th, 2014

Tobias Tran

Hello Georgette,
First of all, thank you so much for all the information that you have given here. I am a Vietnamese citizen but I have lived in Warsaw (Poland) for abour 6 years already and I have a short-term resident permit + working permission. Recently I am trying to get a student visa as an independent student. Because, I want to learn about makeup and beauty, so I signed up for a makeup course from a Private school of makeup in Milan which lasts 6 months (more than 90 days). However, the course is weekend study and when I came to the Italian embassy in Warsaw, they said that they could not issue me for the visa, and they said that it must be a full-time studies and the amount of hours from the course that I want to take are not enough for them to give a student visa. (to be honest, the people who work there are not really nice and they try to make me feel miserable). Also, the consulate told me that I could travel back and forth since its a weekends study. But that is ridiculous since it would cost me even more than spending for everything for the whole 6 months in Italy.

What should I do in this situation in order to get the visa?? What type of Visa should I ask for?? and also, in case they shall give me the visa, is it possible that this visa will be multiple entries visa or single entry?

because I really love to go to Italy and study there. Italy is all about art and history and love. Who would not want to go and have a place there?.
I really hope this will see my post and reply to me as soon as possible because it has been a rush and my course will start very soon. Thank you for reading my post and I look forward to hear from you very soon!

Posted July 30th, 2014



How r u ? I’m from Ghana …I want to applied for Italy visa i have brother working for the U.S navy n i want permit visa to come stay at Italy how should i go by it to get the visa n i am man of 24yrs pls help me thanks ……….you can reply me through asamoah.anelka@gmail.com

Posted August 5th, 2014


Hi.. I have a friend working in Denmark as an AuPair, she wants to go
To Italy. Can she still use her permit even if her Au pair visa has been canceled?
What are the options for her to stay in Italy if ever it will not possible to use? Thanks

Posted August 7th, 2014

Marifel Villanueva

Hi Ms. Gorgette,

I am from the Philippines, I am planning to visit Italy next year with my daughter. It will be my second time. I am really hoping that we get a visa because I want my daughter to have the experience to see and experience the culture.

If you can please give me some advise to help us in getting the visa. If it is my 2nd time does my previous record in the embassy will have some weight,

Thank you.

Posted October 1st, 2014

ashams ann shaj

i am ashams staying in kerala, south india, the girl whom i am going to marry and her family is staying in rome ..her father is working in vatican ..i am planning to go to rome to meet them all during christmas for just one week…can u tell me how to get the visa for going there…
thank you…

Posted October 19th, 2014


HI Gorgette, I am from India I am planning to do a masters programme from italy or (latvia & austria). I have no idea about these nations . I read some messages but am totally confused. Please tell me if i can get a work visa or any visa to stay there after completion of my studies . My agent said that we get a visa for one year to stay and search for work. How true is this? They said in that one year if yuy can find an employment they can extend the work permit.. True? Please help me someone Pleaseee…would be greeatley appreciated

Posted December 24th, 2014


Please anyone email me about this pleaseee… basiljohny@gmail.com

Posted December 24th, 2014


Hi Georgette,
your forum is very informative… it’s sure a great help.
just want to inquire though, do you have an idea as to how long it would take for the nulla osta to come out? my daughter and I have been petitioned by my husband and he already submitted his requirements last nov 2014. we are really looking forward to finally join him after a long years. and we are really looking forward for that paper. thank you verymuch…

Posted December 26th, 2014


I have an employment visa, Type D. I got admission to Ph.D. so how can I change my visa to STUDENT VISA? Am i need to go back to my country or can I able to change my visa from here itself i.e. from Italy.?

Posted January 7th, 2015


Hello, I have a big problem, my cousin from Tunisia would like to visit Milano in Italy and the Embassy needs absolutly for visa an hosting certificate but he doesn’t know anyone in Italy!!!! Maybe someone can help me, it’s just a formality but my cousin took an hotel but it’s not enough for the Embassy… Please!!!

Posted January 21st, 2015


Hi Georgette,,

im from United kingdom with a student visa and now im here for like 3months. i need to go to italy to visit my girlfriend and do i need to apply for italian visa as well..?

Posted March 23rd, 2015

Cristiana Sposito

Hi there,
I’m an italian girl from Napoli. I currently live and work in Indonesia as an expat.
My boyfriend is Indonesian, we are thinking to get married.
My question is: if we get married here and register the marriage in both embassies, will we be able to enter Italy together?
I know there is a Visa to join family members but in this case he doesn’t have to join me but he has to follow me in Italy side we will be leaving in Indonesia together to go to Italy so he can finally meet my family?

Or it would be better we apply for a Tourist Visa and than get married in Italy?
Thanks for your help in advance.


Posted March 26th, 2015

rajwinder kaur
respected sir/mam i m rajwinder from india . actually i want to apply study visa for ietly.. with my spouse.. and my study gap is 6 to 7 years long can i apply .. i want do fashion designing bachelor degree.. can i do ..

Posted May 1st, 2015

Marzia Atuahene

Hello everibody,my name is Marzia and I was born in Italy but due to some some fatal illness of my parents my siblings and I came to Ghana and both my parents are dead and since they passed away I wasn’t able to come back to Italy again I would like u people to help me so that I can come back to Italy to continue my studies Please. Contact: +233542474277 or +233244529692.

Posted May 4th, 2015

Scott Cook

What should be my next step?

I have booked a cruise for me and my family (wife and 4 year old son) to Italy. We will arrive May 13 2016. I don’t fly well, and we would like to stay at least 6 months, Till the next available cruise returns back to the U.S. The purpose of us going is for me to learn the culture and language, and ideally, I would like to gain employment (at any level). Primarily for the purpose of immersing myself in the culture and language. I know that my passport will only allow me to stay for 90 days. I also know that in order for me to apply for a work visa, I need to already have employment in Italy (which I don’t). So what are my best options, If I have any?

I look forward to any help that anyone can offer.

Posted May 11th, 2015


These informations is so detailed, it is very helpful for my getting a visa for Italy…PERFECT !
Thank u…

Posted May 18th, 2015

Terri M Lipp

Hello! What a great site…it’s my first visit, but I am sure it won’t be my last! ~ My husband has recently been offered and accepted a job in Italy. Currently we both live in the United States, he is a European citizen and I have American citizenship, and we will be moving in about 5 weeks. I was told that as the spouse of a European citizen I will not need a visa for our move to Italy, but that I will indeed need to get a permesso di soggiorno upon our arrival. Looking at the prerequisites for the permesso di soggiorno, I see I need a visa. :) I lived in Italy a few years ago and am quite prepared for the confusion that I know is inevitable, but any light you could shine on whether or not I really need a visa would be deeply, deeply appreciated! Grazie mille… :)

Posted May 19th, 2015


My husband and I are from the US, and my husband is attending school in Rome, Italy. He has got a student visa and his permesso di soggiorno. We are having trouble getting me an accompany visa, so I can stay with him in Rome during his study here. We have tried looking up the steps and process for getting the accompany visa, but have had no luck. Can you let me know what I need to do to get the accompany visa and what websites I can look up?

Thank you,

Posted May 24th, 2015


Hi mam I applied for italen visa but I didn’t get visa for some inquiry issue .can I know can I take new visa from italen embassy

Posted May 28th, 2015


Hi Georgette,

I have read your article, it was very helpful. But my case is different, I want you to help me in this. My husband is working in Italy, we recently got married. I came to Italy in Visiting visa. My doubt is we have all required documents arranged for spouse in between i have only 20 more days to return back to India. I want to know can i apply spouse visa in Italy with out going back to India. Where can i get this information. Please Help me to know the details for. thank you.

Posted June 1st, 2015


Hello Mam,

i listen about the seasonal worker papers opens from 5 may 2015 that right ?

if its opens, its good time to apply for get successful visa ?

Posted June 2nd, 2015


Hi Georgette, your information is very useful. I am Chinese and i will be sent by my Chinese company( it is a global company) to Italy( they have branch in Italy). now i have sent all my documents to Italy and do you know how long it takes to get the work permit so that i can get my visa?

Posted June 24th, 2015

Shineth Mendoza

Hello Georgette! My name is Shineth. I am a Filipina and my husband is Italian. I already have an appointment on Friday in visa section of Italian Embassy here in Manila, Philippines. I just want to ask if what are the requirements needed for FAMILY REUNIFICATION VISA? For me and for my daughter. I just want to make sure that I have all the documents that they will ask to me. Thank you.

Posted June 30th, 2015


Have you found any information about your situation? I’m having the same issue. My wife was accepted into the University of Bologna to attempt a Master’s Degree (or rather the European equivalent). She will be there 10 months and I want to be with her, however, thus far we have not been able to find a visa that will allow that. We are both American citizens and have contacted the Italian consulate assigned to our area, but he has not been able to help us. He says that I either need a Work Visa (which means I need someone to hire me in Italy in the next month) or a Study Visa (which means I need to apply, get accepted, AND get all of my information in within the next month). Neither seem like they are likely to happen. Help! Thanks to anyone with information.

Posted July 10th, 2015

Cecily Boles

Thank you all for your detailed insights.

I am a US Citizen living in the US and getting my PhD in Italian Art History from a US university. I need to go to Rome for about 10 months to do research for my dissertation, but I am having trouble figuring out the correct visa.

I’m not enrolled in an ITALIAN university, and I do not qualify for the “Elective Living Visa.”

I have proof of income and health insurance both from my university.
I can get a letter from my University saying I need to go to Rome to do my research, but I can’t seem to figure out the visa. (I know I need the permesso di soggiorno once I am there.) I can probably even get a lease. I thought I might qualify for a “Search Visa” or as an Independent worker, but I don’t understand all the rules or what a Direzione Provinciale del Lavoro – Servizio Politiche del Lavoro or a Nulla Osta is or how it is obtained. I am not necessarily getting paid to do my research – unless stipends and grants count. I know academics everywhere would be grateful for any insights you can offer.

“University language lecturers, university professors, translators, interpreters, and
researchers intending to teach or carry out paid research activities in Italian universities or
educational or research Institutes:
o Certification issued by the competent “Direzione Provinciale del Lavoro – Servizio
Politiche del Lavoro” that the contract does not constitute subordinate employment
availability of suitable lodgings to be proven according to one of the following means:
rental agreement, lease, or ownership deed;
 OR Letter of Hospitality (in original) by an Italian or foreign citizen legally
residing in Italy stating that he/she has made available suitable lodgings that
fulfill the minimum requirements foreseen by regional legislation for public
o “nulla osta” (entry clearance) issued within the previous 90 days by the competent
Italian Questura in the city where the applicant will reside (Main Police Station).”

Posted July 11th, 2015

Cecily Boles

I am a US citizen living in the US attending a US university for a PhD in Italian art history. I need help finding the correct visa and the correct documents to stay in Rome for 10 months to research my dissertation. I thought I might qualify for a search visa or an independent work visa (I have a stipend and grants to conduct my research in Rome).

I can obtain proof of income, health insurance, and validation of my need to research in Rome from my US university. I can probably also get a lease for a place to stay in Rome (and I know I will need a permesso di soggiorno once I am there). Can you please help me? I don’t understand the terms, documents, requirements, or where/how to obtain them.

I know academics everywhere would be grateful for your insights, and I can promise to spread the word as much as possible.

Posted July 11th, 2015


My name is jahed Hassan. I am from Bangladesh. My wife lives in Italy since 2007. She is Romanian citizen. she have the legal resident of Italy.she also a student of university of Genoa and also have the job.she applied family reunion visa for me. She send her tax paper, house contract document. carta di identita, Passport copy & Family reunification invitation. I take all the documents with our marriage certificate and with all mandatory documents to the Embassy of Italy in Bangladesh. I applied for family reunification visa . But they are not accepting my application.they are saying my wife is Romanian passport holder so she cant apply for me.Generally European union citizen don’t need nulla osta. i told it to my wife.she also don’t know how to do.because she told me she send all the legal papers.now she is trying to talk with a lawyer.but i also need a helpful answer from you. or please tell me the way.

Posted August 16th, 2015


Is there a way to have your student visa cancelled? The issuing embassy said the place of residence (California) must do it, California said no, London must. Any ideas as to how to get it cancelled.

Posted October 22nd, 2015


HELLO , Georgette : Following your post i need to know as whether ANY ONE HAS succeeded to get converted tourist visa to permanent visa for Italy ? Or if my spouse comes on tourist visa to genova,Italy , can she be given resident permit if she applies as i do have a permanent permit.

Posted January 7th, 2016


HI Guys.
I have planned to learn Italian language in Italy but i dont have information about Visa.How long Italian language Visa.How many chance to get Visa and which documents required.I am from Pakistan.

Thank You Very Much

Posted February 15th, 2016

Sundaramoorthy V


I am Sundar, Applying for Work permit, My company is sponsoring me, I have submitted all the original documents to the Prefecture of Torino.
How many days it will take to confirm?

Phase 1: ‘click day’ * and nulla osta.The employer (or professional in charge of this procedure) will have to wait for the publication of the Flow Decree, expected at the end of January or beginning of February; from that day forward (a.k.a. ‘click day’), it will be possible to submit the online request for hiring the non-EU citizen in question. The list of documents that need to be submitted with the application is long and includes information regarding the hiring company, the proposal of contract, and information about any accommodation will be provided to the employee. Filing the application correctly is crucially important; any request done incorrectly is rejected. The applications are reviewed in chronological order, that is, first-come-first-served, after arriving in the computers of the immigration desk. Many have correctly compared this system to a real lottery, since the odds of getting a spot are very close to those of winning a jackpot.


Posted October 13th, 2016


I need information regarding Visa, i got offer from Naples university for PhD position.

Posted November 26th, 2016


Ho applicato il mio visto è sul web https://www.estausa.it/

altamente consigliato!

Posted December 1st, 2016